Child Support

Child Support

Ohio law requires parents to financially support their children. Arriving at an amount of support that is fair and reasonable, and then collecting it can be a challenge. The process will be easier with the help of a skilled, experienced attorney.

At Gorman Malarcik Pierce, our lawyers have experience working with courts and child support agencies all over northeast Ohio. If you owe child support, we will help you set an amount that you can handle, and arrange for payments on overdue balances. If you are owed support, we will help you get the highest amount allowed by law.

How Do I Get a Child Support Order?

When there is a pending Divorce or Dissolution of Marriage, child support is handled there. If you have a pending Parentage action, support will be decided there. When Parentage has not yet been determined, that must be done first.

If Parentage (paternity) has already been decided, but there is no current child support order, then the Child Support Enforcement Agency will handle the child support calculation and collection.

How Is Child Support Calculated?

In Ohio, there is a formula to calculate child support. The information considered includes:

  • Income of each parent
  • Other children of each parent
  • Other child support being paid by each parent
  • Health insurance costs
  • Child care expenses
  • Spousal support (alimony) being paid or received

The court or agency will calculate the support amount according to the formula and create an order. The order is sent to the employer of the parent who will be paying. The support amount will be automatically deducted each pay period and sent to the support agency, which will send it on to the receiving parent.

If there are unpaid amounts from the past, the court or agency will also include a payment on those amounts, called arrearages, to be deducted and paid automatically.

Why Do I Need an Experienced Family Law Attorney?

The court process is complicated and child support agencies move slowly and inefficiently. Missed details and deadlines can result in your case being dismissed. In order to get the best result, you should have your own attorney, one who has experience in this area of the law.

Your lawyer at Gorman Malarcik Pierce will take the time to counsel you about the issues, the process, and the possible outcomes. We can be as aggressive as necessary to protect your interests. We will put our years of experience and knowledge to work for you.

Why Do I Need an Experienced Family Law Attorney?

An experienced family law attorney will make sure that you get the best possible result and that all of the documents are properly written to accomplish what you intended. Often there are complex tax questions or special rules pertaining to assets like retirement accounts.

At Gorman Malarcik Pierce, we take the time to counsel each of our clients about the issues, the process, and the possible outcomes. We put our years of experience and knowledge to work for you.

Call the Family Law Attorneys at Gorman Malarcik Pierce Today

The results of a Child Support case will affect your life and your child’s life, for better or for worse. Let Gorman Malarcik Pierce help you get the best possible result.

Call us today: (33) 253-0785.

Our offices are located in downtown Akron, at 54 East Mill Street. We serve clients in courts throughout Northeast Ohio, including Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Youngstown, and the surrounding areas.